Home about Portfolio Contact

February 1, 2011

Unanticipated Consequences

I should have been an economics major. Ok, not really, I love being a graphic designer, but still microeconomics is quite intriguing. Spencer is currently taking micro this semester and anyone who knows me knows just how much I love school. Actually, I love being a student. I love books, I love paper, I enjoy taking notes, and yes I know I am crazy. I could be a professional student and be quite happy.

While Spencer is gone each day, I can't help but read over his lessons as well. I enjoy the discussions we have over the course material.

His professor posted this as a discussion topic a few days ago. I have been pondering this and overall the theory of unanticipated consequences.

"The US State Department estimates that more than 1 million children are involved in global sex trade each year.  According to CNN.com, some parents in Cambodia have sold their children for as little as $100.  A New York Times reporter recently acquired the funds to purchase (rescue) some of these children.  By negotiating with "sex traffickers," the reporter was able to free and find homes for a few abused children.  Keeping in mind that sex trafficking in Cambodia is a multimillion dollar industry, what might be an unanticipated consequence of the reporter's actions?"

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment